Q&A: What can I do to get a work permit after my wife withdrew her petition?


Question: I’ve been married to my wife for 5 yrs now but were separated for a year. I only have a work permit through her petition and she withdrew her petition last feb. And INS sent me letter saying that my work permit is been canceled. My question is there any thing else I can do for me to work legally? My mom also petition me and it is now current would this help me obtain at least a work permit?

Answer: Work permit is issued in your case when you filed your I-485, adjustment of Status. When your wife withdrew her petition(I-130), USCIS will deny your I-485 and your work authorization. You can get a new work authorization if you can file a new application to adjust status based on your mother’s I-130.