Q&A: How long before I can adjust my mother’s status to a permanent resident?


Question: I am a US citizen and my mother is coming on a B2 tourist visa soon. I want to file I-130 and I-485 concurrently when she arrives. Am I or is she gonna get in trouble If I do it for her here in US. I have asked that question before online and somebody said I can get in big trouble if I do it. I am not sure if I am doing it but how can I prove that I or she had no intention to break the law? It doesn’t sound wrong. She is entitled to that benefit anyway.

 Answer: Generally the law would punish people came to the US on a non-immigrant visa with “preconceived intent” to adjust status.  However, immediate relatives of US citizens are generally exempted from this rule.  File the petition after 60 days of her arrival will be safer.