Q&A: Can I still apply for my green card after a divorce?


Question: I got married in good faith, with both families involved. Right after marriage I discovered that my wife was emotionally unstable because she was not able to be on her established regimen, and she was prone to mood swings and emotional swings, and because of it, I was emotionally abused for 4 months, and now we’re separated and going to get a divorce, because I couldn’t bare it anymore .. Can I still apply for my green card through her after divorce?

 Answer: If you have received conditional green card, you can file for divorce and then apply for waiver of joint petition to remove the condition.  If not, unless you can show severe abuse you cannot get green card.