Can my husband who has no immigration status stay in the U.S. because I am ill?


Q: Two years ago, I got stabbed and then my dad died. I have been diagnosed that I have mental illnesses: 1.Bipolar disorder 2.PTSD 3.Separation anxiety disorder. My husband has been here for me from day one. I married him in July. I also have a doctor note shows my mental condition could be worsen if my husband gets deported. How can I get him to stay here in the U.S. with me?

A: It depends on many factors. The most important one is if he entered the US legally. If not, unless he is 245i protected, he cannot adjust status in the US. If he cannot adjust status, then if he has been in the US for more than 10 years without long absence, he may apply for cancellation of removal. Please consult with an immigration lawyer for advice.