What can I do if my husband is refusing to go ahead with the immigration paperwork?


Q: I came in the US with a K1 visa in December 2010. My husband and I got married on the 25th February 2011. We then filed for adjustment of status form I-485. We went for finger printing and were scheduled for an interview on the23rd September 2011. He refused to go but I went alone and they sent a letter requesting for documents that should be sent by Friday 21st October. He has refused to comply. I am 31 and he is 64. What can I do?

A: As long as you can show your marriage is not for immigration purposes, CIS may approve your I-485. The problem is that without his participation, CIS will question the bona fides of your marriage. You better retain an immigration lawyer to assist you.