Can I fix my husband’s paper even if I am previously convicted for felony?


Q: I am married to a foreigner who came to U.S. with a visa.   I want to file immigration petition for my husband.  The only problem I see is that I have a theft felony on my record; will this not allow me to fix his papers?

A: No problem for you to petition your husband even if you have a felony conviction record.  The only legal bar from a US citizen to petition spouse or children is if the US citizen has a conviction involving sexual offense against a minor.